Wisconsin IRP Registration

Wisconsin is a big state for truckers. Its proximity to Chicago, as well as Canada, means that it sees a lot of truck traffic. With its lakes, rivers, and forests, Wisconsin provides beautiful and diverse scenery for truckers to travel through. If you’re ready to get out on the road and need to travel through Wisconsin, you’ll need to get IRP Wisconsin apportionment.

What is IRP?

The Wisconsin state capitol building.

The acronym IRP stands for International Registration Plan. IRP was devised to help states share their registration revenue in a proportional manner. Before IRP, whichever state you were based in would receive all of the payment from your registration. Now, however, IRP allocates those funds proportionately based on how many miles you travel within each state. In this way, IRP helps all of its member jurisdictions maintain their roads and provide services for truckers.

Who Needs to Get IRP?

IRP regulations only apply to certain vehicles. Specifically, it applies to vehicles that meet one or more of the following parameters:

  • A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
  • A combined weight (with its tractor and trailer) of 26,000 lbs. or more
  • Three or more axels, regardless of the vehicle’s weight

If your truck meets any of these parameters, then you are required to obtain IRP apportionment or a temporary trip permit.

How Do I Prove I Have IRP?

When you purchase IRP apportionment, you will receive two things to prove that you have IRP. You will receive an apportioned license plate in the mail to put on your truck. You’ll also receive a cab card that effectively replaces its registration paperwork. Both of these include apportioned tags with the word “apportioned” and are required to have in your truck at all times. Make sure you don’t forget to keep these with you, as without proof of apportionment, you could be fined upon entering Wisconsin.

What Else Do I Need?

Almost all truckers who need IRP also need IFTA. IFTA, the International Fuel Tax Agreement, is the fuel tax equivalent of IRP. It shares fuel tax revenue among the states and jurisdictions that a trucker drives through, as opposed to all of it going to one state. The process of obtaining your IFTA decals is very similar to that of IRP, but you have to make sure to get both before you enter Wisconsin.

If your truck weighs more than 55,000 pounds, then you will also need to file the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, also known as HVUT. HVUT returns are only for the heaviest vehicles, which charge you incrementally based on the overall weight of your vehicle. For this tax, you will need to file Form 2290.