Virginia IRP Registration

Virginia is one of the oldest states in the Union. From the Chesapeake Bay inward to the Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia provides lovely scenery and a rich history for truckers to experience. If you drive on the east coast with any regularity, you will inevitably cross through Old Dominion. When that happens, you’ll want to have all of the necessary paperwork so you don’t run into any regulatory trouble. That means getting your IRP Virginia apportionment so you can truck in the state without issue!

So, What is IRP?

IRP is the International Registration Plan, an agreement between the contiguous US, the Canadian provinces, and the District of Columbia. This agreement allows every member jurisdiction to share the revenue that your base state or jurisdiction collects. In this way, every state that you travel through with your truck gets a slice of the pie. Without IRP, a trucker based in Virginia could spend most of their time driving on other states’ roads while Virginia collects all of the tax revenue. In 1996, the federal government decided to eliminate this possibility by mandating all contiguous US states to adopt IRP.

What are the Requirements for IRP?

Only certain commercial vehicles need to purchase IRP apportionment. Some vehicles, like agricultural vehicles, are usually exempt from these requirements. However, for non-agricultural commercial vehicles, meeting just one of the requirements below means that they will need IRP.A Virginia highway.

  • The vehicle’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is greater than 26,000 pounds
  • The vehicle has three or more axels
  • The vehicle is part of a combination whose combined weight exceeds 26,000 pounds

Is IRP the Only Thing I’ll Need?

Truckers have a lot of regulatory hoops to jump through to do their work. Along with obtaining IRP apportionment, you will almost certainly need IFTA as well. IFTA refers to the International Fuel Tax Agreement, a similar agreement across many of the same member jurisdictions that governs fuel taxes. If you qualify for IRP, you also qualify for IFTA. And if you don’t want to purchase single-use trip and fuel tax permits, you’ll need both to be a legal interstate trucker.

If your truck weighs more than 55,000 pounds, then you qualify for another tax, this time federal. The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, or HVUT, applies to all trucks that clear this limit on truck weight. It charges you based on how much more your truck weighs than the 55,000 pound lower limit. For more information, visit our sister site,

How Do I Get IRP?

Well, you’re in the right place! At IRP Registration Services, we can get your IRP apportionment for you quickly and easily. All we need from you is some information about you and your truck, and we will file all the necessary paperwork for you to get your cab card and apportioned plates. Make sure you have your truck’s weight, VIN, and other basic information ready before you contact us so your IRP apportionment process can be as quick as possible!

Once you have your IRP registration, make sure to put your new apportioned tags and apportioned plates on your truck and keep your cab card in your truck at all times. These prove that you are apportioned for IRP and are legally eligible to drive a truck in any jurisdiction that is an IRP member.

Don’t wait, give us a call today!