Vermont IRP Registration

Trucking through the forests of Vermont is an absolute treat. This low-density state provides truckers with a serene break from the many northeastern cities they have to pass through. In the northeastern US, the states are small and tightly packed, meaning you will likely pass through multiple states along your route. For that reason, recommends you register for IRP Vermont before you travel to the state!

But What Is IRP?

The International Registration Plan is a reciprocity agreement that allows truckers to haul their loads legally throughout the contiguous US, the District of Columbia, and the Canadian provinces. It began in 1973 as a way for different jurisdictions to collect funds from the registration fees on heavy trucks. Because heavy trucks create more wear and tear on the roads, the jurisdictions decided that their registration fees should be shared proportionately. That way, areas that are home to fewer trucks will have the funds to maintain their roads for everyone!

Does My Truck Qualify?

Some beautiful Vermont countryside.

IRP only applies to certain types of trucks. These guidelines intend to only charge the heaviest trucks. If your truck meets any of the conditions below, you will need IRP.

  • The truck weighs more than 26,000 pounds
  • The truck is used as part of a combination that weighs more than 26,000 pounds
  • There are three or more axels on the truck

How Do I Prove I Have IRP?

Once you purchase your IRP apportionment, you’ll need to make sure that the state of Vermont knows you have it. There are two pieces of identification you will receive from us that will prove you have IRP. The first is your cab card, which you will need to keep in your truck at all times. The cab card effectively replaces your usual registration paperwork. The second is your apportioned license plate, which you will need to affix to your truck. These apportioned tags are what Vermont state officials will typically check to make sure you have IRP.

What Else Do I Need?

IRP is rarely the only thing that a trucker needs to legally operate in Vermont. Vermont is also a member jurisdiction of the International Fuel Tax Agreement, or IFTA. IFTA shares taxes on fuel purchases across jurisdictions, so it performs a similar function to IRP, but it is a different program. However, if you require IRP apportionment, you will also require IFTA.

If your vehicle weighs more than 55,000 pounds, then you will also have to pay the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, or HVUT. Unlike IRP and IFTA, the HVUT is a federal tax. It charges you based on how heavy your vehicle is, with the charge increasing based on how much heavier your vehicle is than 55,000 pounds. For more information on this tax, visit our sister website,