Utah IRP Registration Services

Like many states in the western United States, truckers often wind up driving long distances through Utah. Whether they need to get to Salt Lake City or are just passing through, truckers find themselves in Utah often. Interstates like I-15 and I-80 cut through the state, making it a major transport thoroughfare. If you’re an Interstate carrier, you’ll need to purchase IRP Utah apportioned plates to travel out of Utah. And there’s no better place to do that than at!

But What Exactly Is IRP?

The acronym “IRP” refers to the International Registration Plan. Starting in 1973, a group of US states banded together to share the registration fees of their heavy trucks among each other. These states decided that it was better policy to share the fees proportionately based on how many miles a given truck drove in each state rather than to just have the base state collect them all. Every state in the contiguous US has since adopted IRP, as well as the District of Columbia and the Canadian provinces. This way, you can register your truck with IRP and your registration will be recognized no matter where you go!

Requirements for IRP

Thousands of truckers pass by these SE Utah signs every day.

Not every vehicle needs to get IRP. The member jurisdictions decided some time ago to only make very heavy or large vehicles get IRP. These vehicles are the ones that cause the most wear and tear on the roads, after all. So, if your truck or commercial vehicle meets any of the parameters below, it requires IRP apportionment.

  • Weighs more than 26,000 pounds
  • Has three or more axels
  • Is used in a combination whose combined weight is more than 26,000 pounds

I’ve Bought IRP. How Do I Show the States I Have It?

When you purchase IRP apportionment, you will receive two items that prove your membership. The first is your apportioned license plate, which will replace the old one you had. This license plate includes apportioned tags with the word “APPORTIONED” in block letters, making it clear to authorities that you have done your due diligence. If they require more proof, however, then you’ll have your cab card, which effectively replaces your registration documentation. The cab card will include all of the details you’ve provided us, ensuring full proof of your apportionment.

Is There Anything Else That I Need?

There is! All truckers who need IRP also need to get apportionment from the International Fuel Tax Agreement, or IFTA. IFTA does the same thing that IRP does, but instead of registration fees being split across multiple jurisdictions, IFTA splits the taxes on fuel purchases. You may also need to pay the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, or HVUT. HVUT only applies to vehicles that weigh more than 55,000 pounds, so not every trucker needs to pay this tax. If you do, visit our friends at for help with your filing!