South Carolina

South CarolinaFor truckers, South Carolina is a great home base. Geographically speaking, it’s right along the coastal beaches that house numerous ports. These ports are the starting point for many coast-to-coast shipments and have easy access to the interstate highways that can help deliver those goods. From Charleston, Georgetown, and Port Royal, the range of goods is as diverse as the drivers who carry them. However, if your trucking company wants to ship this vast array of business opportunities from one of the ports in South Carolina to any other state, you’re going to need to know about the IRP South Carolina.

What Do I Need to Know About the IRP?

The IRP is the International Registration Plan. Take note of the “international” in IRP because this covers more than just the United States. It’s a reciprocity agreement between all 48 continental states in America, as well as 10 Canadian provinces. What is a reciprocity agreement, you may ask? It just means that each state and province, considered jurisdictions, will have each other’s backs. If you drive through another state, your car’s state registration isn’t going to cover the wear and tear on the out-of-state roads. It won’t help to ensure traffic safety. It doesn’t help cover a lot of things. The IRP takes care of all that.

Essentially, it lets every jurisdiction know how many miles you drove in their area. That way, the jurisdiction can take a percentage, depending on how much you drove there, to help cover some of these costs. Roads aren’t free. The IRP offers truckers the freedom to drive throughout North America.

Is the IRP Mandatory?

Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge, Charleston, South CarolinaThe IRP is mandatory for all truckers who cross state lines into two or more jurisdictions covered under the IRP. However, not all trucks are created equal in the eyes of the IRP. If you are a small carrier who drives a small van to make your deliveries, you most likely won’t need to worry about the IRP. If your vehicle falls under any of the following conditions, then you MUST register with the IRP.

  • Your vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Weight more than 26,000 pounds
  • Your vehicle has 3 or more axels.
  • The combined weight of your tractor, trailer, and loaded cargo exceeds 26,000 pounds

How to Get an IRP

Getting an IRP is easy compared to how it used to be done. Before, truckers would need to register in each and every jurisdiction they would pass through. Now, they only need to register once. With IRP Registration Services, we make it easier than ever before. All we need is your USDOT number, information about your company, and your truck’s information, and we can get it done fast and easily. No more filing complicated forms, calling government phone numbers with hours-long wait times, or fearing a random audit. We take care of everything and get all apportioned tags for you!

Once I get my IRP, am I free to cross state lines?

Technically, yes! However, depending on your vehicle, you may need additional permits. For most drivers, if you need an IRP, you most certainly need an IFTA as well. The IFTA is the International Fuel Tax Agreement. It works similarly to the IRP, but the funds recovered go towards more environmental concerns about driving through multiple states. The IFTA covers most states and jurisdictions, but some states, like Oregon, New York, New Mexico, and Texas, all have additional permits required to pass through their states. Lastly, if you have a heavy vehicle, you may also need to register for an HVUT. This is the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax. This is for vehicles that exceed 55,000 pounds.

Truckers need a lot of permits, and making sure you’re covered helps ensure that you have a safe journey with no hiccups. You don’t want to cross state lines without one of these permits. You could be flagged by local officials, issued a fine, pay additional taxes, and possibly even have your vehicle impounded. Avoid the stress and get your IRP today!