Rhode Island IRP Registration

Rhode Island has the smallest land area in the US, meaning many truckers pass through on their trips. If you’re a trucker based in Rhode Island, it’s difficult to avoid leaving the state. After all, Rhode Island only has about 1,500 sq. miles of area. So, if you register your truck in Rhode Island, you’re going to need IRP Rhode Island registration to ensure that you can legally operate outside of the Ocean State!

Why Do I Need IRP?

The International Registration Plan, or IRP, began in 1973 as a way for states to share the revenue from registration filings. Basically, the contiguous 48 states, the District of Columbia, and the 10 Canadian provinces share the fees they collect from registrations proportionately to the amount of distance traveled. Because Rhode Island has such a small land area, it has relatively few miles of road to maintain. As such, IRP allows Rhode Island to share its registration fees with states that need greater maintenance funds.

However, not everyone needs IRP. Only interstate carriers need it, and only if they meet one of the following conditions:

  • They use a truck whose gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is greater than 26,000 pounds
  • Their truck has three or more axels
  • They use their truck in combination with a trailer or other piece of equipment, and the combination exceeds 26,000 pounds

Is IRP the Only Thing I Need?

The Rhode Island Capitol Building.

IRP is one of two major interstate agreements to share trucking fees proportionately. The other agreement is the International Fuel Tax Agreement, or IFTA. With IFTA, its member jurisdictions can share the tax revenue that the states collect on fuel purchases. If you need IRP, you will also need IFTA to legally transport goods between states. After all, every member jurisdiction that’s a part of IRP is a part of IFTA, too. For more information on IFTA, visit our partner site at

If your truck weighs more than 55,000 pounds, you will also have to file the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, or HVUT. This is a federal tax on very heavy vehicles. This tax can be filed using Form 2290.

I’ve Got My Apportionment. What Do I Do Now?

Once you apply for IRP apportionment with, you can just sit back and relax. We’ll file all of the necessary paperwork and get your apportionment as soon as possible. Within just a few business days, you’ll receive your apportioned tags, apportioned license plate, as well as your cab card. The apportioned license plate goes on the back of your truck and signals to authorities in every jurisdiction that you have purchased IRP. The cab card stays in your truck at all times, replacing your registration paperwork. If you ever need to produce registration paperwork, this is what you will use.

Getting IRP is a must for interstate truckers. Get it quickly and easily today with!