Pennsylvania IRP Registration

Are you a trucker based in Pennsylvania? Pennsylvania is a major transportation hub for the eastern US. Thanks to major cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is a gateway between the northeast and other major regions of the country, including Chicago, which connects to the state via I-80. If you are an interstate trucker based in Pennsylvania, the best way to ensure you can haul your loads anywhere in the country is by getting registered for the IRP Pennsylvania with!

What is IRP?

The International Registration Plan, or IRP, is a multi-jurisdictional reciprocity agreement. Its member jurisdictions are the Lower 48 states, the 10 Canadian provinces, and the District of Columbia. These jurisdictions agreed to share the fees from the registrations of certain trucks across the jurisdictions. The trucks to which this agreement applies are those that meet one or more of the following parameters.

    An image of Philadelphia across a river
    Philadelphia from across the Schuylkill River.

  • It weighs more than 26,000 pounds
  • It has three or more axels
  • It’s part of a combination whose combined weight exceeds 26,000 pounds

If your truck meets one of these parameters, then you can get IRP apportioned tags to make your life easier! With IRP, you can leave Pennsylvania with your truck and enter any other member jurisdiction, and that jurisdiction will recognize your registration. Behind the scenes, the states share your registration fees proportionately based on how many miles you drive in each jurisdiction. It makes your life easier while allowing the jurisdictions to maintain their roads.

Do I Need Anything Else?

If your truck meets the parameters for IRP apportionment, you will also need to purchase apportionment for IFTA. IFTA stands for the International Fuel Tax Agreement. It does the same thing that IRP does, but instead of registration fees, it shares fuel taxes across the jurisdictions. Again, this sharing is proportional to the number of miles you travel within a given state.

Trucks that are heavier than 55,000 pounds will also need to file IRS Form 2290. This form pays the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, or HVUT. This federal tax increases based on how much more your truck weighs than the 55,000 pound threshold.

How Do I Prove I Have Apportionment?

Once you purchase IRP apportionment, you will receive two pieces of identification. These pieces of identification are essential to prove to state officials that you’ve made the necessary purchases. The first is your cab card, which should stay in your truck’s cab at all times. This replaces your registration documentation. The other is your apportioned license plate. This plate is affixed to the back of your truck and displays to authorities that you have your IRP apportionment.