Welcome to Oregon IRP Registration Services!

Oregon is one of the most beautiful states in the Union. Its lovely forests and towering peaks also host a variety of useful highways for truckers. From smaller state highways to the massive Interstate 5, many truckers will see their routes take them into, through, and out of Oregon. Because of this, it’s imperative for Oregon-based truckers to get their IRP Oregon apportionment as soon as possible!

Just What is IRP?

IRP refers to the International Registration Plan, which is a reciprocity agreement between most of the United States and Canada. IRP allows for its various member jurisdictions to share the fees that you pay for your truck’s registration. For example, with IRP, a truck registered in Oregon that travels half of its miles in Washington would pay 50% of each state’s registration fees. This way, those states will both have proportional funds in order to maintain their roads.

Which Trucks Need IRP?A street with a Welcome to Oregon sign

Not all truckers based in Oregon need to purchase IRP apportionment for their vehicles. First of all, IRP only applies to interstate carriers; if you do all of your trucking in Oregon, then you won’t need it. If you leave Oregon and you meet one of the following parameters, though, then you’ll need to purchase apportionment. Does your truck:

  • Weigh more than 26,000 pounds?
  • Have three or more axels?
  • Weigh more than 26,000 pounds because it is used as part of a combination?

If any one of these is true, then you will need IRP apportionment to legally operate as an interstate carrier based in Oregon.

What Will I Receive Once I Purchase IRP?

Truckers can prove they have IRP apportionment with apportioned tags. You will receive these in the mail after you purchase apportionment. The first is an apportioned license plate, which must go on the back of your truck. This provides a quick way for Oregon and other state officials to determine your apportionment. The other is your cab card. The cab card should stay in your truck at all times, as it effectively replaces your registration paperwork. With these two pieces of identification, it will be clear to all that you have what you need.

What Happens if I Don’t Get IRP?

There is an alternative to IRP if you are not interested in purchasing permanent apportionment. You can get a temporary permit from, which functions as a temporary IRP apportionment. However, you don’t want to completely ignore IRP. If you leave Oregon without purchasing either IRP or a temporary permit, you can face huge fines or even have your truck repossessed. So make sure your information is up-to-date!

Do I Need Anything Else?

All trucks that qualify for IRP also qualify for IFTA, the International Fuel Tax Agreement. This agreement does the same thing as IRP, but for fuel taxes instead of registration fees. If your truck weighs more than 55,000 pounds, you’ll also need to file a Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, or HVUT. You can file this by visiting our sister site,