Welcome to North Dakota
IRP Registration Services!

Truck drivers based in North Dakota have a friend in the industry. When you have legal papers to file, call us for assistance at (888) 202-4927. We’ll take the headache out of enrolling you in the International Registration Plan and all your other state and federal paperwork so you can hit the road without worry!

What is the International Registration Plan?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement between the continental states of the US, Washington DC, and Canada. The Plan reduces the complexities of collecting and distributing fees among the member jurisdictions. It also eliminates the need for permits in each area traveled, which is a big relief for truckers.

How do I know if my truck qualifies for the IRP?

If you only haul within the state of North Dakota, then you don’t need to enroll in the IRP North Dakota. But if your payloads are delivered to other states or into Canada, you’ll need to register if your truck meets the following requirements:

North Dakotans of the equine variety
  • Your truck has 3 axles or more,
  • It has 2 axles but is heavier than 26,000 lbs.,
  • The combined weight of the power unit, trailer and cargo exceeds 26,000 lbs.

Does that sound like your rig? If so, phone us at (888) 202-4927 and we’ll get you signed up with the International Registration Plan.

How much time will it take to register with the IRP?

It’s quick! We just need a phone call with you to get your information, and then we’ll spend a few hours filling out the documents. We’ll send them off immediately to the North Dakota Department of Transportation. They’ll process the paperwork within 3 business days, then you’ll receive your apportioned tags.

What’s a cab card, though?

Western Meadowlark, North Dakota’s state bird

Your North Dakota cab card will have your name and address and information about your vehicle. Such details as the VIN number, make, year, number of axles, unladen weight, gross weight, etc. are included. A bar code appears on the top left of the card.  It also lists all the jurisdictions that you’re registered in, as well as the maximum weight allowed in each area. (Canadian Provinces list the weight limit in kilograms, except for Quebec which lists the maximum axles.) The cab card serves as proof of your registration, along with the license plate and sticker.

Can you help me with other legalities I need to comply with for my trucking business?

Definitely! Our friendly and knowledgeable agents are experts in all the requirements necessary for commercial carriers. There are many documents to deal with as a trucker, such as the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT). This is an annual tax which is the IRS Form 2290. It’s mandated for any vehicle with a combined gross weight of 55,000 pounds or greater. You’ll want to stay on top of this one, because fines and penalties for letting it lapse can be severe. Let us handle this and all your other compliance paperwork so you can focus on the road ahead! Call us today at (888) 202-4927!