North Carolina IRP Registration

North Carolina is a major hub in the southeastern US for transportation of all kinds. It is home to a whopping 19 interstate highways, including I-40, the third-longest interstate in the country. In this rapidly-growing state, truckers should know everything that they need to obtain to make their transports, whether they be long-distance or just down to South Carolina. As such, North Carolina truckers need to know about IRP North Carolina.

IRP? Never Heard of it.

Then you’re in the right place! The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a reciprocity agreement between the Lower 48 states, the Canadian provinces, and the District of Columbia. IRP takes the proportion of miles you travel in each jurisdiction over a given year and charges you registration fees from those jurisdictions. For example, if you travel 55% of your mileage in North Carolina and 45% in South Carolina, IRP will grant those percentages of your registration fees to each state. So, North Carolina will receive 55% and South Carolina will receive 45%.

In this way, IRP makes registration fees more fair and, broadly, more useful. After all, truckers often travel through many states every day. It wouldn’t really be fair for states with larger land areas or smaller populations to get nothing from truckers who use their roads, would it? IRP subsidizes road maintenance across all of its member jurisdictions, ensuring that every jurisdiction can afford to keep their roads safe.

Am I Required to Get IRP?

The downtown Raleigh, NC skyline.

If you are a commercial motor carrier, the chances that you need to get IRP are high. However, it’s still worth knowing what the exact kinds of trucks are that IRP affects. If your truck meets any of the parameters below, you’ll need to get IRP to legally operate outside of North Carolina. Does your truck:

  • Exceed 26,000 pounds of gross vehicle weight?
  • Have three or more axels?
  • Exceed 26,000 pounds as part of a combination?

If so, then you’ll need to purchase IRP apportionment for your truck.

What Will I Receive From

Once you send us the information we need, we will file your paperwork immediately. Within just a few business days, you’ll receive your apportioned license plate, which you’ll need to affix to your truck. You’ll also receive your cab card, which you need to keep in your truck at all times. These apportioned tags signal to officials in every member jurisdiction that you have purchased what you need to.

Do I Need Anything Else?

If your truck meets the parameters that necessitate IRP registration, then it will also need registration with the International Fuel Tax Agreement, or IFTA. IFTA is essentially IRP for fuel taxes. Whenever you purchase fuel, you pay taxes to the state in which you purchased your fuel. With IFTA, that tax revenue gets shared across the member jurisdictions proportionately.

Does your truck exceed 55,000 pounds of gross vehicle weight? If so, then you’ll also need to file the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, or HVUT. HVUT charges a weight tax that increases based on how much heavier your vehicle is than the 55,000 threshold. You can pay HVUT using IRS Form 2290.