Welcome to New York IRP Registration Services

New York truckers are some of the best in the business. While some trucking companies won’t even try to deliver freight in New York City, New York truckers have developed their skills to fit any truck down any alley. With traffic delays, vastly different boroughs, and complicated route surveys, there’s never a dull moment for a New York trucker. However, sometimes your route may take you across state lines and onto wider and less congested roads. If your trucking business is about to take you over state lines, you may need to understand the IRP New York registration process and how it affects your business.

What is the IRP?

The International Registration Plan, or more commonly known as the IRP, is an agreement between 48 states in America (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) and the 10 provinces in Canada. Together they make the IRP. The IRP collects a tax to offset and improve driver safety in the jurisdictions you travel through. Before the IRP, truckers had to stop at each border crossing and apply for individual state permits. Now, with the IRP, drivers can stay in their trucks and only pay for one tax permit. This saves drivers time and money while still improving roadways, which makes the IRP a pretty good thing.

What if I don’t apply for the IRP?

Failure to comply with the IRP could cause you to waste a lot of time and money. When you cross the border, regulators will confirm that your truck is in good standing with the IRP. If they deem you out of compliance, they’ll stop your truck from crossing the border. If you don’t want to turn around and abandon your shipment, you’ll have to buy an Emergency Fuel Tax Permit. This permit comes with a fee and an additional fine.

What do I need to show I’m in good standing with the IRP?

To prove that you have the proper tax permits, the IRP will send you apportioned tags in the form of an apportioned license plate, decals, and a cab card. The plate and decals should be fixed to your vehicle so regulators can easily spot that you’re in compliance. If, however, you need to take off on a trip before the plates come in, you still have your cab card. The cab card has all of you and your truck’s information as well as any weight and jurisdiction limitations. It’s best to always have this in the cab of your truck when traveling.

Does everybody need to join the IRP?

Technically, no. Only drivers who have a truck that falls into at least one of the following categories need to apply to the IRP. This includes:

  • Trucks that have 3 or more axels
  • trucks weighing more than 26,000 pounds
  • trucks with a combined weight of their rig, their trailer, and their load of more than 26,000 pounds.

Is the IRP the only thing I need to cross state lines?

The IRP is the most common tax permit, but there may be several others you need before you’re ready. The IFTA is another very popular tax permit, similar to the IRP. The International Fuel Tax Agreement is another agreement between the states and Canada. Unlike the IRP, which only deals with certain jurisdictions, the IFTA deals with the whole country equally. If you need the IRP, you’ll likely also need the IFTA as well. They are separate agreements that have separate tax permits and fees.

The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, HVUT, or more commonly known as the Form 2290, is another tax permit. This is for heavy vehicles that have a gross weight of more than 55,000 pounds. This tax permit helps repair wear and tear on roads from the nature of these types of vehicles.

If you need one or more of these tax permits, give IRP Registration Services a call today. We can help you navigate complicated tax forms, help you understand what tax permits your specific truck needs, and direct you to officials to get you all squared away. We’re waiting on your call, so contact us today and get back on the road tomorrow.

How do I register with the IRP?

Registration is easy with IRP registration Services. All you have to do is fill in your vehicle and company information and we’ll take care of the rest. No more calculating costs or rifling through tax codes. We have everything you need with live agents to support you through every step of the process. They can easily get you registered and let you know what other permits your truck may need. Just submit your company information on our HOME PAGE and information about your vehicle, and we’ll handle all of the legwork. To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number. Or you can call today at (888) 202-4927 and one of our tax permit experts can help you today.