Welcome to New Mexico IRP Registration Services!

New Mexico is one of the most diverse states in the union, geographically speaking. From arid desert to snowy mountain peaks, this state has it all. So, truck drivers making their way through the state on one of its major highways will have a lot to look at! Whether you’re on a long, cross-country trek on I-10 or just crossing the state lines briefly into Amarillo or Tuscon, interstate truckers in New Mexico need IRP. If you want to make your trips in peace, you’ll need the IRP New Mexico registration!

IRP? What Is That?

When we say “IRP,” we are referring to the International Registration Plan. Under this plan, the contiguous US states (along with the Canadian provinces and the District of Columbia) recognize each other’s registration documents. In exchange, states where a given truck isn’t registered receive a proportionate amount of the fees the base state collects. The fees you pay will be spread out based on how many miles you travel in each state. New Mexico is one of the least populous states in the US, meaning IRP helps it maintain its roads when interstate truckers based in other states drive through!

Do I Really Need IRP?

Sunrise over a tall rock formation in the desert
Sunrise at Shiprock.

IRP is specific to heavy commercial vehicles. Lighter or smaller vehicles don’t wear down highways as much, so the member jurisdictions of IRP decided not to bother with anything that doesn’t meet one of these parameters:

  • A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or more
  • If the vehicle is used in combination, then a combined weight of 26,000 lbs. or more
  • Three or more axels

If your vehicle meets any of these parameters, then you’re in the right place. Get your IRP registration easily by using our quote form today!

Do I Need to Display Anything to Prove I Have IRP?

You’ll receive two pieces of identification to keep with your truck at all times. The first is your apportioned license plate, which you’ll need to replace your current license plate with. The second is your cab card, which you’ll need to keep in your truck at all times. Cab cards replace your old registration paperwork, and you’ll show them to any state official asking for registration. These apportioned tags prove to officials that you’ve done your due diligence and purchased what you need.

Am I Good to Go?

Even though you’ve obtained your IRP decals, you can’t necessarily head out of New Mexico just yet. If your vehicle qualifies for IRP, it also qualifies for IFTA (the International Fuel Tax Agreement). IFTA shares the taxes on fuel purchases across the same jurisdictions as IRP. Though very similar, these agreements are different, so you’ll need to purchase both in order to operate legally.

Does your vehicle’s gross vehicle weight rating exceed 55,000 lbs.? If so, you’ll also need to file the HVUT (Heavy Vehicle Use Tax) using IRS Form 2290. However, you don’t have to file this tax before you operate; just know that you will have to file it soon!