Welcome to New Jersey IRP Registration Services!

Despite being a small state, New Jersey is packed tightly. Its population density is the nation’s highest, and because of this, it has a plethora of Interstates, US Highways, and state roads that truckers use constantly. Truckers based in the Garden State have easy access to New York City, the Delmarva Peninsula, and Pennsylvania. However, they can’t leave New Jersey without first completing their IRP New Jersey paperwork with!

IRP? What’s That?

IRP is an agreement between the lower 48 states, the District of Columbia, and the Canadian provinces. The acronym stands for International Registration Plan. With IRP, commercial motor carriers don’t need to register their vehicles in every state in which they operate. Instead, they just get IRP, and IRP charges them registration fees based on how many miles a carrier travels in each jurisdiction. This way, every jurisdiction gets a fair share of the fees that a given carrier pays. And it’s easier for carriers, too!

Notably, IRP only applies to certain vehicles. If your vehicle has three or more axels or weighs more than 26,000 pounds (whether as part of a combination or by itself), your vehicle needs IRP. If you do not meet any of these parameters, then you do not need IRP.

What Do I Need to Do to Get IRP?

The Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal in Jersey City.

We’ve built an easy-to-use quote form for carriers based in New Jersey to get IRP quickly. All we need from you is some basic information about your company and your vehicle. We’ll need its gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), along with its make, model, and year. We’ll also need information about you and your business, especially your USDOT number. Once we have everything, we’ll file all of the paperwork for you and get you your apportionment as soon as possible!

Within just a few business days, you’ll receive your two pieces of IRP identification. You’ll receive an apportioned license plate, which you’ll need to put on the back of your vehicle. You’ll also get a cab card, which replaces your registration paperwork. With these apportioned tags in tow, you’ll have everything you need to operate legally as an interstate trucker!

Do I Need Anything Else?

Vehicles that require IRP apportionment also require IFTA apportionment. IFTA stands for the International Fuel Tax Agreement, which does the same thing as IRP but for fuel taxes. It has the same qualification parameters as IRP, so every interstate carrier who needs IRP also needs IFTA.

Does your vehicle weigh more than 55,000 pounds? If so, then you’ll also need to file the HVUT, or the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax. This federal tax includes charges for specific classes of vehicle weight. HVUT can be filed at our sister site,