Welcome to Nevada IRP Registration Services

nevadaNevada is one of those states that is always at the top of the list of best states for truckers. The state is less than a day’s drive to five major US ports that give access to more than 60 million customers. Not only is it ideally located, Nevada is always in the top 10 list of states with the best infrastructure. This offers drivers some of the smoothest roads, sturdiest bridges, and generally smoothest rides in the country. Motor Carriers who take part in Nevada have some of the best opportunities in the country. However, if your business takes you outside the state border to take advantage of the nearby coastal ports or even deliver across the country, you’re going to need to read up on the IRP Nevada registration process.

I’ve Never Heard of the IRP!

Welcome to New York IRP Registration ServicesIf you’ve never heard of the IRP, perhaps you know it better as the International Registration Plan. At its core, the IRP is an agreement between the 48 continental states of America and 10 provinces in Canada. This agreement helps collect taxes to help fund roads and traffic safety measures that drivers travel through. Before the IRP, drivers who wished to cross borders would have to pay a new tax with a new form and a new permit for every jurisdiction. Now, the IRP combines all of these jurisdictions to allow drivers to only pay once and travel freely throughout North America.

Do I Have to Apply for the IRP?

If you intend to cross borders, then yes you do. Failure to comply may cause some serious fines and hassles. Every time you cross a state or federal border, regulators will check the status of your truck and for the appropriate apportioned tags. If they deem your vehicle out of compliance, they will flag your vehicle. They will issue a fine and require you to apply for the IRP right there. This can seriously delay a shipment. If you still can’t apply for the IRP, your vehicle could even get impounded. It’s best to handle this before you set off on your shipment.

Does Everyone who crosses Jurisdictions Need to Apply?

Actually, no. Only drivers who fall into certain categories need to apply for the IRP. These categories include:

  • Your truck has 3 or more axels
  • Your truck weighs more than 26,000 pounds
  • Your truck’s combined weight of the rig, the trailer, and the cargo load weighs more than 26,000 pounds

If you fall into ANY of these categories, you must apply for the IRP.

I submitted to the IRP. Can I Cross State Lines?

Even though the IRP is the most common tax permit, there are others that you may also need to hold before you can freely travel across borders. Another very popular tax permit is the IFTA. This is the International Fuel Tax Agreement that works very similarly to how the IRP works. However, instead of using the tax funds to repair roads and improve traffic safety, the IFTA helps pay for environmental impacts.

Another tax permit that you may need is the HVUT. This is the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax or also more commonly known as the Form 2290. This tax permit is for any large vehicle that exceeds 55,000 pounds.

Here at IRP Registration Services, we can help you with one or all of these permits. We cut through the complicated tax forms so you don’t have to. Our knowledgeable agents can help you understand your specific needs and get you back on the road.