Welcome to Nebraska IRP Registration Services

The prairies of Nebraska offer drivers some of the best roads to drive across in America. They’re smooth, underpopulated and offer some of the fastest speed limits in the country. It’s no wonder why truck driver unemployment is lower here than almost anywhere else. People love working in this state, and there are plenty of opportunities for truckers. Centrally located in the country, Nebraska is a prime location for your home base. However, if you do plan on crossing state lines into another state, you may need to learn more about the IRP Nebraska and other tax permits that may affect your business.

What is the IRP?

The International Registration Plan is a tax permit to help promote interstate commerce. Essentially, it collects a tax that all jurisdictions that are part of the agreement can benefit from. Currently, 48 of the 50 states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) as well as all 10 Canadian provinces are part of the agreement. The IRP logs the miles a driver spends in each jurisdiction and divides the tax fees evenly amongst these jurisdictions. Before the IRP, drivers would have to apply at each state line they entered and pay for each state individually. The IRP helps keep drivers moving while simultaneously creating safer roads for those drivers to use.

Does Everyone Need to Join the IRP?

Not all commercial truckers need to join the IRP. However, if your truck falls into at least one of the following categories, then you must register your vehicle with the IRP. These stipulations are:

  • Your vehicle has 3 or more axels.
  • Your truck exceeds a gross weight of 26,000 pounds.
  • Your combined weight of your truck, trailer, and loaded cargo exceeds 26,000 pounds.

If you fall into one or more of those categories, you must register with the IRP.

What happens if I don’t register with the IRP?

Failure to register could end up costing you a lot of time and money. When you cross state lines, regulators will assess your vehicle and confirm that you have proof of registration. If your vehicle is deemed noncompliant, you’re going to need to apply for an Emergency Fuel Permit. This has a fee and a fine attached to it. It also takes some time at the border crossing to complete. If your route requires you to cross multiple state lines, the next state may require you to complete the process all over again. All of this time and money adds up, so it’s best to take care of this before you even leave on your route.

What is Proof of Registration for the IRP?

After you are approved and pay your taxes, the IRP will send you three things to use as proof. You will receive apportioned tags in the form of license plates, decals, and a cab card. The plates and decals should be fixed to your vehicle so regulators can easily spot your compliance. This will prevent any delays. If you have not received your plates yet, you can still use your cab card. The Cab Card has all of your information as well as your vehicle’s and all weight and jurisdiction limitations. It’s best to keep this right there in the cab of your truck, hence the name “Cab Card.”

What else do I need to stay in compliance when I cross state lines?

The IRP is one of a few tax permits that you may be required to get. The IFTA is another tax permit very similar to the IRP. The International Fuel Tax Agreement is another agreement between the states and Canada. However, instead of dealing with only the jurisdictions you drive in, it covers all of the jurisdictions in the agreement. This helps underserved jurisdictions that don’t see a lot of traffic. It is a separate tax permit, which means if you need one, you’ll likely need both.

The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, HVUT, or Form 2290 as it’s commonly known, is another. This applies to all vehicles with a gross weight that exceeds 55,000 pounds. This tax permit helps maintain roads from the wear and tear of the increased size of these types of vehicles.

These three tax permits are the most common, but there are others. They’re all relatively easy to get with IRP registration services. We can help you identify what permits you’ll need as well as direct you to any authorities you need to get in contact with to maintain compliance. Call today to make your trips easier tomorrow.

How do I register with the IRP?

Registration is easy with IRP registration Services. All you have to do is fill in your vehicle and company information and we’ll take care of the rest. No more calculating costs or rifling through tax codes. We have everything you need with live agents to support you through every step of the process. They can easily get you registered and let you know what other permits your truck may need. Just submit your company information on our HOME PAGE and information about your vehicle, and we’ll handle all of the legwork. To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number. Or you can call today at (888) 202-4927 and one of our tax permit experts can help you today.