Welcome to Montana
IRP Registration Services!

From stunning Glacier National Park in the northwest, to the impressive scenery of the southeast, Montana has so much beauty you may never want to leave. But Montana-based truckers have to heed the call of the highway, even if it means temporarily leaving The Treasure State. And you’ll need to enroll in the International Registration Plan if your hauling business takes you to other states or to Canada. You can get the assistance you need to file your IRP Montana registration from us. Give us a ring at (888) 202-4927, or keep reading for all the details.

Bozeman, Montana Grizzly Bear

What is the International Registration Plan?

It’s a mutual agreement between the lower 48 states of the USA, Washington DC, and the 10 provinces of Canada. The International Registration Plan (or IRP) requires apportioned tags, only one license plate, cab card and weight decal for mileage accrual within the member jurisdictions. Before the IRP came into existence, truckers had to have multiple permits and plates. So, in that respect, it has simplified truckers’ lives to some degree.

Okay, but what’s a cab card?

A Montana cab card is a piece of paper that has the details about your truck such as the unladen weight and gross weight. It has your VIN number, year and make of your vehicle, as well as all the jurisdictions you’re registered in and the maximum weight allowed in each. There’s an official State of Montana seal watermark and a barcode, too. The cab card serves as proof of your IRP registration, and as such it should stay in the truck.

Cracker Lake, Glacier National Park, Montana

Do I really have to register with the IRP?

You don’t have to enroll in the International Registration Plan if you don’t transport cargo outside of Montana. But if you do, and your truck:

  • Has three or more axles,
  • Is a two-axled power rig weighing more that 26,000 pounds,
  • Or the weight of the power rig plus trailer and load surpasses 26,000 pounds, it’s necessary to register with the IRP.

But don’t despair, we’ll make the process completely painless! You’ll be on the road in no time. Just call us at (888) 202-4927. You’ll give us your information, and we’ll spend a few hours filling out the documents for you. Then we’ll speed them over to the Montana Department of Transportation. They need 5 business days for processing, but then you’ll receive your license plates, cab card and sticker and be ready to roll!

Montana Horses by David Mark

Are there other legalities I need to know about?

Yes. Unfortunately, the trucking industry has lots of mandatory state and federal requirements. And we’re happy to assist you with all of them. Like the IRS Form 2290, also known as the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT). This is an annual tax that is a necessity for vehicles over 55,000 pounds. Ignoring this law would be a mistake, as penalties can be severe. You’ll need to have evidence of compliance when you visit weigh stations, so call us before your next trip and we’ll get you all squared away.

From Beartooth Highway to unexplored interstates, we’re with you the whole way!
Phone us at (888) 202-4927 and we’ll take the headache out of International Registration Plan enrollment!