Welcome to Mississippi
IRP Registration Services!

Big rig drivers based in the Magnolia State don’t need to get themselves all riled up trying to figure out the legal requirements necessary in the trucking industry, because we’re here to help! The International Registration Plan is just one of the many documents that need filing. So, if you don’t want to get stuck filling out paperwork on your own, give us a call now at (888) 202-4927 and we’ll take care of the IRP Mississippi registration for you immediately. Or, grab a slugburger and a sweet tea and read on for more info!

What is the International Registration Plan?

Mississippi State Capitol Building in Jackson, Mississippi

It’s an agreement between the lower 48 states of the US, Washington D.C., and the 10 provinces of Canada. The International Registration Plan, or IRP for short, lets you conduct your transport business between any or all of the member jurisdictions without having to get separate permits for each area.

How do I know if I need to enroll in the IRP?

Well, if your hauling only takes place within the state of Mississippi, you won’t need to register. But if your business takes you to other states or Canada, AND your rig meets the following criteria, give us a call and we’ll get you squared away.

If your power unit:

  • Has two axles and weighs more than 26,000 pounds
  • Has three or more axles, no matter the weight
  • Or the weight of power unit, trailer and load exceeds 26,000 pounds, contact us at (888) 202-4927.

How long does the process take?

Once we get your information, we’ll spend a few hours filling out the paperwork, then send it off lickety-split to the Mississippi Department of Revenue. They require 7-14 days for processing, and then you’ll receive your cab card, license plate, and apportioned tags.

What the heck is a cab card?

Your Mississippi cab card will be a letter sized paper with the details of your truck such as VIN number, year, make, gross weight, unladen weight, etc. It will list all the jurisdictions you are allowed to haul in, as well as the gross weight for each. (For the Canadian provinces, it lists the weight in kilograms instead of pounds, except for Quebec, which lists the number of axles instead.) The cab card will have a watermark of the Mississippi Department of Revenue Seal, and a bar code. It will serve as evidence of your registration in the IRP. Keep a copy of your cab card with you in your truck, as you will likely need to show it at weigh stations.

Can you guys help me with the other necessary paperwork truckers need to file?

Absolutely! We’re experts in the trucking industry and can help you with everything you need to get legal for travel. For instance, our friendly and knowledgeable agents will assist you with filing your IRS Form 2290, too. Also known as the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT), Form 2290 is a requirement you don’t want to let lapse. If you get caught, playing possum won’t cut it. Fines, penalties and even being held at a weigh station all night until it’s handled can occur. But we’ll make sure that doesn’t happen to you. Call us at (888) 202-4927, we’re here to do all the heavy lifting!

Call (888) 202-4927 – We’re happy to help with all your trucking-related legal requirements!