Welcome to Minnesota IRP Registration Services.

Historically, Minnesota truck drivers have hauled America’s agricultural needs across the states. However, with the increase in technology, truckers of late have seen all sorts of items grace their trucks. With several deep water ports along Lake Superior and an assortment of industrial items from their neighbors to the north in Canada, Minnesota is a staple in America’s trucking industry. But truckers from the Land of 10,000 lakes see problems that other truckers don’t see. Harsh weather and increased routes over international borders into Canada are just a few of the issues in the North Star State. If your trucking company needs to cross state or federal lines, you’re going to need to know about the IRP Minnesota.

What’s the IRP?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement made between 48 of the 50 states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) and the 10 provinces of Canada. It was created to help promote interstate commerce. Before the IRP, truckers would have to stop at each state before entering and pay for a permit designated for the individual state. Prices ranged drastically, and it took a lot of time. Now, drivers just have to pay once and they can drive freely to any of their designated jurisdictions.

Who needs to join the IRP?

If you drive a commercial truck that crosses state lines, you’re more than likely required to register with the IRP. Not all commercial trucks need to register, but if your truck falls into at least one of the following categories, you’ll need to apply to the IRP and hold proof of registration.

  • Your truck has three or more axels.
  • Your vehicle’s gross weight is above 26,000 pounds.
  • The combined weight of your truck, trailer, and loaded cargo exceeds 26,000 pounds.

What is the proof of registration?

When you are approved for the IRP, you will receive apportioned tags, decals, and a Cab Card. The plates and decals need to be fixed to your vehicle or trailer so regulators can easily spot that you have been approved by the IRP. The Cab Card is a card that lists all of your information along with your vehicle information, accepted jurisdictions, and weight limitations. When you apply with IRP Registration Services, we help you navigate through all the tax forms and regulations to get you approved fast.

What happens if I don’t apply to the IRP?

If you fail to comply with the IRP and still cross state lines, you’re going to run into some trouble. When you cross any state or federal border, you will find yourself scrutinized by regulators. If those regulators ticket you for not having your plates or cab cards, you will be forced to apply for an emergency fuel trip permit. This specific permit comes with a fine on top of the permit fee. Additionally, you’ll need to stop at the border to apply for this permit, a lengthy process that keeps you off the road. If you’re going to cross multiple state lines, you may have to do this again at every border crossing.

What else do I need besides the IRP?

The IRP is one of many tax permits that you may need. Those who are required to get the IRP will most likely also need to get the IFTA. The International Fuel Tax Agreement is very similar to the IRP, but it is a separate agreement all together. While the IRP helps cover drivers through different jurisdictions, the IFTA covers drivers in any state or province.

The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, HVUT or more commonly known as the Form 2290, is another tax permit that your company may need. The HVUT is mandatory for any truck on the road that exceeds 55,000 pounds. This helps maintain public roadways from the wear and tear of heavier vehicles.

If you need any of these permits or have questions about whether your business may need any additional tax permits, give the team at IRP Registration Services a call. Their team of tax experts can walk you through the tax codes and regulations to make sure that you’re business is set up for success and avoid any unnecessary fees and fines.

How do I register with the IRP?

Registration is easy with IRP registration Services. All you have to do is fill in your vehicle and company information and we’ll take care of the rest. No more calculating costs or rifling through tax codes. We have everything you need with live agents to support you through every step of the process. They can easily get you registered and let you know what other permits your truck may need. Just submit your company information on our HOME PAGE and information about your vehicle, and we’ll handle all of the legwork. To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number. Or you can call today at (888) 202-4927 and one of our tax permit experts can help you today.