Welcome to Michigan IRP Registration Services

Michigan sits on the biggest lake in the world with port activity that covers almost 64 million tons of inbound and outbound cargo. When Michigan drivers aren’t shipping minerals and ore from the ports, they’re shipping transportation equipment, which accounts for $28.2 billion of Michigan’s total exported goods. Needless to say, there’s a wide variety of shipped goods coming in and out of Michigan every day. The problem is that these goods can’t stay in Michigan for long, and it’s up to America’s truck drivers to get them across state lines. If your trucking business is seeing you cross state lines in and out of Michigan, there are some things you’re going to need to have before you do. It’s mainly a thing called the IRP.

What does IRP mean?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement between the US and Canada. It includes every state besides Alaska and Hawaii, along with the 10 provinces of Canada. The creation of the IRP was to encourage interstate commerce. The IRP makes it easier for freight companies and their drivers to comply with state regulations and tax laws. Before the IRP, drivers would have to stop every time they crossed a state line and register right there. This would take a lot of time and cost more money. Now, the IRP collects one tax fee and divides that money equally among all participating jurisdictions.

Who is required to pay the IRP?

It is more than likely that if your commercial truck drives into an IRP-controlled jurisdiction, you’ll probably need to pay the IRP. The IRP requires all commercial vehicles that fall into at least one of the following categories to pay.

  • Your vehicle has three or more axels.
  • Your vehicle’s gross weight is above 26,000 pounds.
  • Your vehicle’s combined weight of your truck, trailer, and loaded cargo is greater than 26,000 pounds.

What happens if I don’t pay?

If you fail to pay for your IRP Michigan tax permit, you may be fined and have your trip delayed. When you cross state lines, regulators will check to see if you have the proper permits and apportioned tags. If you don’t, then you’ll need to apply for an Emergency Trip Fuel Permit right there on the spot. This permit comes with a mandatory fine on top of the permit fee. If you have to cross over to multiple states, this process could continue for every state you enter. To save time and money, it’s best to get your IRP tax permit before you start your trip.

What else do I need to cross state lines?

The IRP is one of the most common tax permits you’ll need, but there are others. If you are required to get an IRP, you’ll more than likely also need an IFTA. The International Fuel Tax Agreement is similar to the IRP with one key difference. The IFTA covers the United States and Canada as a whole, while the IRP only covers certain jurisdictions. They are two separate agreements and, therefore, you would need to acquire both tax permits to stay in compliance.

The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, HVUT or more commonly known as the Form 2290, is another tax perk for larger vehicles. If your vehicle’s gross weight exceeds 55,000 pounds, then you must apply for the HVUT. This is to help maintain roads from the wear and tear of heavy vehicles.

There are others, but those are the most common. If you have any questions, one of our live representatives here at IRP Registration Services would love to help you understand what tax permits your truck needs and direct you to the proper authorities. This way, you can drive through this great country without having to worry about tax codes, regulators, or unnecessary fines and fees.

How do I register with the IRP?

Registration is easy with IRP registration Services. All you have to do is fill in your vehicle and company information and we’ll take care of the rest. No more calculating costs or rifling through tax codes. We have everything you need with live agents to support you through every step of the process. They can easily get you registered and let you know what other permits your truck may need. Just submit your company information on our HOME PAGE and information about your vehicle, and we’ll handle all of the legwork. To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number. Or you can call today at (888) 202-4927 and one of our tax permit experts can help you today.