Welcome to Massachusetts IRP Registration Services!

Massachusetts is the second oldest state in America and has been a key to transportation since the inception of the Boston Harbor in the 1600’s. The Port of Boston still runs to this day and nowadays carries more than just tea. In total, there are nine historic ports in Massachusetts that make Massachusetts one of the largest delivery destinations on the East Coast. To make those ports run, they need truck drivers to help continue the supply chain to the rest of the country. However, if your business is crossing state lines and traveling more than just across the state, you’re going to need to know about the IRP Massachusetts.

What is the IRP?

The IRP is the International Registration Plan, and it affects 48 of the 50 states of America and the 10 provinces of Canada. Only Hawaii and Alaska do not participate. Even if you are based in a state or province that does not participate in the IRP, you must abide by the IRP if you cross state lines into a jurisdiction that does. The IRP effectively helps promote interstate commerce and makes it easier for truckers to drive through states while satisfying regulatory requirements. Before the IRP, truckers would have to stop in each state and pay individually as they crossed state lines. This would add time and costs to the process. The money collected for the IRP helps maintain roads and promote driver safety.

Who needs to submit to the IRP?

Most commercial trucks that cross state lines will likely need to submit to the IRP. If your commercial truck drives through a state that is part of the IRP and falls into at least one of the following categories, you must submit to the IRP.

  • Your vehicle has three or more axels
  • Your vehicle’s gross weight is above 26,000 pounds
  • Your vehicle’s combined weight of your truck, trailer, and loaded cargo exceeds 26,000 pounds

How do I submit?

With IRP Registration Services, submitting your IRP has never been easier. We help identify your jurisdictions, find your vehicle information, and process all the tax forms and paperwork so you don’t have to. After your registration is approved, you will get your proof of registration. This includes apportioned tags in the form of a license plate, decals, and a Cab Card. The plate and decals must be fixed to your truck or trailer, while the cab card should stay with your truck at all times. This way, regulators will surely know that you’re in compliance with the IRP.

What happens if I don’t get my IRP permit?

If you fail to submit to the IRP, you could be in for a tough time trying to cross state lines. If a regulator notices that you don’t have your plates or cab card, you will be asked to purchase an emergency Fuel Trip Permit. This permit will cost you some money to get and it comes with an additional fine right on top. You may be required to get another Emergency Permit for every state you need to travel through. All of this takes time and money. It’s best to take care of this before you begin your route.

Is the IRP the only thing I need to worry about?

Engaging in interstate commerce is never easy. If your vehicle needs to submit to the IRP, chances are that’s not the only tax permit you’ll need. The IFTA, or International Fuel Tax Agreement, is a separate permit that you are likely to need. It’s similar to the IRP, but you’ll need both if your vehicle qualifies. Whereas the IRP deals in certain jurisdictions when you cross state lines, the IFTA deals with every state in the Union as well as Canada.

The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, HVUT, or more commonly known as Form 2290, may also be something you need. This is for vehicles that weigh over 55,000 pounds and hopes to offset any wear and tear from larger vehicles using public roads.

There may be more, but those are the most popular. If you have any questions or concerns, you can always talk to a live representative at IRP Registration Services who would be happy to walk you through the process.

How do I register with the IRP?

Registration is easy with IRP registration Services. All you have to do is fill in your vehicle and company information and we’ll take care of the rest. No more calculating costs or rifling through tax codes. We have everything you need with live agents to support you through every step of the process. They can easily get you registered and let you know what other permits your truck may need. Just submit your company information on our HOME PAGE and information about your vehicle, and we’ll handle all of the legwork. To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number. Or you can call today at (888) 202-4927 and one of our tax permit experts can help you today.