Welcome to Maryland IRP Registration Services

Maryland is home to many public ports, including Duindalk, Fairfield, North Locust Point, Seagirt, and South Locust Point. The Port of Baltimore is one of the largest ports on the East Coast. With so much freight coming through, it’s no surprise that Maryland is one of the best places to be a trucker. The state is incredibly close to huge cities like Philadelphia, New York City, and Washington, DC. Unless your trucking business only commutes to Baltimore and surrounding Maryland areas, you’re going to have to cross state lines. For all commercial trucks that cross state lines, there are certain tax permits that are required to do business. One of these tax permits is the IRP. If your business takes your commercial truck across state lines, you’re going to need to know about the IRP Maryland.

What is the IRP?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement between 48 states and 10 Canadian provinces. The only states that aren’t part of the agreement are Hawaii and Alaska. However, even if you’re based in a state like Alaska, you will still need to submit to the IRP if your trucking business plans to drive through any of the states or provinces that are part of the IRP. To participate, you must list the jurisdictions that your vehicle will travel through and pay the fee.

Who needs to Submit to the IRP?

If your commercial vehicle crosses state lines into a jurisdiction that is part of the IRP, there is a good chance you will have to submit your vehicle to the IRP. If your vehicle falls into at least one of the following categories, you must submit to the IRP.

  • Your vehicle has at least 3 or more axels
  • The gross weight of your vehicle exceeds 26,000 pounds
  • The combined weight of your vehicle unit, trailer, and cargo load exceeds 26,000 pounds.

What is the proof of submitting to the IRP?

After you register and pay your fees, you’ll be sent your proof of registration. You will receive apportioned tags like a license plate, decals, and a Cab Card. The license plate and decals must be fixed to your truck so regulators can easily see your proof of registration. If you’re still waiting for your license plate, you can also use a cab card as proof. A Cab Card has information about you, your business, and your vehicle. It will also include the jurisdictions and weight limitations that you are approved for. It’s best to keep that Cab Card with you at all times when traveling across state lines. It’s best left in the cab of your truck, which is why it’s called a “cab card.”

What happens if I don’t submit to the IRP?

If you fail to submit to the IRP, you will have a rough time crossing state lines. If your truck is found without plates, you will have to stop and regulators will question why you have not submitted your IRP. If you don’t have your Cab Card, you will need to buy an Emergency Fuel Permit. This permit comes with a fine as well as a fee. If you’re passing through multiple states, you may be subject to the fines and fees after crossing every state line. This can quickly add up in fees and will add extra time to your trip to deal with officials.

How do I register with the IRP?

Registration is easy with IRP registration Services. All you have to do is fill in your vehicle and company information and we’ll take care of the rest. No more calculating costs or rifling through tax codes. We have everything you need with live agents to support you through every step of the process. They can easily get you registered and let you know what other permits your truck may need. Just submit your company information on our HOME PAGE and information about your vehicle, and we’ll handle all of the legwork. To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number. Or you can call today at (888) 202-4927 and one of our tax permit experts can help you today.