Welcome to Maine
IRP Registration Services!

Truck drivers in Maine help shape our nation as one of the largest exporters of timber, lumber, and, of course, Maine lobster. Maine also has several ports which import goods from all over the world. The biggest problem with being a trucker in Maine is that it isn’t easy to leave. Routes through Maine either have to go through Canada or New Hampshire. This makes planning a route difficult if you need to transfer cargo across state lines. If your trucking company does take you across state lines, you’re going to need to understand what IRP Maine is. It is important for Maine truckers because of the number of states most drivers need to cross in order to ship cargo.

What is the IRP?

The International Registration Plan, more commonly known as the IRP, is an agreement made between each state in the US and Canadian provinces to help promote interstate commerce. The fees gathered from the IRP are divvied up between the jurisdictions to help interstate travel. You pay a fee based on each state that your route must travel through. Before this, truckers had to pay separately for each state and at different times with fluctuating prices. The IRP makes this process easier for drivers; just pay once and show proof of registration in each state you pass through.

What is Proof of IRP?

When you register for the IRP, you will be given apportioned tags in the form of a license plate, decals, and a cab card. The license plate and decals must be fixed to your truck for regulators to inspect when crossing state lines. The cab card is then kept in the cab. The Cab Card includes information about you, your company, and your vehicle. It also includes the weight limits and jurisdictions that your vehicle is welcome to travel through.

Does every commercial truck need an IRP?

Luckily, not every truck needs to submit to the IRP. There are set limits to determine if a truck is required to register. If your truck falls into one or more of the following categories, then they will need to submit to the IRP.

  • Your truck has 3 or more axels
  • The gross weight of your truck exceeds 26,000 pounds
  • The combined weight of your truck, trailer, and cargo load exceeds 26,000 pounds.

What happens if I don’t pay?

If you’re cited for not having proper proof of registration, it’s going to be exceedingly difficult to cross state lines. With Maine having to go through so many states, it will be exceptionally difficult for you. Every time you cross state lines, you will be checked. The license plate and decals make it easy for officials to know if you are registered or not. If they don’t see the plates, you’ll be stopped to check your cab card. If there is no cab card, you will be forced to purchase an emergency fuel tax permit. This permit also comes with a fine. Once you pay that, you will be allowed to cross state lines. This will happen at every state crossing, and soon, those fines and fees will add up. Not to mention, you’ll have to pay them all again on your return trip.

What else do I need to cross state lines?

The IRP is one of the many permits you may need to cross state lines. The IFTA is something else that is very similar to the IRP. The IFTA is the International Fuel Tax Agreement. This is similar to the IRP but works throughout the United States and Canada rather than in individual jurisdictions. Unfortunately, they are separate entities and if your truck qualifies, you must have both.

The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax is another one that is for larger vehicles. This is commonly referred to as the HVUT or the Form 2290. If your vehicle is over 55,000 pounds, you’re probably familiar with the HVUT.

How do I register with the IRP?

Registration is easy with IRP registration Services. All you have to do is fill in your vehicle and company information and we’ll take care of the rest. No more calculating costs or rifling through tax codes. We have everything you need with live agents to support you through every step of the process. They can easily get you registered and let you know what other permits your truck may need. Just submit your company information on our HOME PAGE and information about your vehicle, and we’ll handle all of the legwork. To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number to apply. Or you can call today at (888) 202-4927 and one of our tax permit experts can help you today.