Welcome to Louisiana
IRP Registration Services!

Louisiana is home to over 30 ports, with the Port of South Louisiana ranking third in the world in total trade. That means a lot of things need to be transported to and from the port. Thankfully, truck drivers are there to save the day. However, most of what comes through the ports of Louisiana doesn’t stay in Louisiana for long. They need to be sent across the country, and truckers need to drive across state lines to do it. If your trucking business takes you across state lines, you’re going to need to learn more about the IRP Louisiana and how it affects your business.

Learn More about the IRP

The IRP is the International Registration Plan. It is an agreement made between the individual states of the United States and certain provinces of Canada. Together, they promote interstate commerce and encourage the fullest possible use of the highway system. This is because the IRP recognizes vehicles registered in other jurisdictions. Before the IRP, truck drivers had to register separately in every state that they wished to drive through.

To properly register, you must submit a license fee for each jurisdiction in which the vehicle operates. After fees are received, you will receive apportioned tags, license plate, decals, and a cab card. The license plate and cab card need to be fixed to your vehicle, while the cab card should be with your vehicle at all times.

Who Needs an IRP?

If your commercial vehicle crosses state lines, there is a good chance you will need to join the IRP. If your commercial vehicle can be described in one of the following ways, you must submit it to the IRP.

  • Your vehicle has 3 or more axels
  • The gross weight of your vehicle exceeds 26,000 pounds
  • The combined weight of your vehicle unit, trailer, and load exceeds 26,000 pounds.

What else do I need to do to cross state lines?

The IRP is one of the things to check off your list before your business can successfully cross state lines. If your truck needs to register with the IRP, it may also need to register for a Heavy Vehicle Use Tax. This is commonly referred to as the HVUT or the Form 2290. All trucks that weigh over 55,000 pounds must pay their HVUT before conducting business.

The other big one is the IFTA. The IFTA is similar to the IRP, however the IRP works in specific jurisdictions while the IFTA works throughout the United States and Canada. Look into both of these before you cross state lines.

What if I don’t join the IRP?

If you fail to pay your IRP fees, you could be in for a tough journey. Every time you cross state lines, you may be flagged for not having your IRP plates and decals. If you are flagged, you’re going to need to pay for an emergency fuel tax permit. This also includes a fine. If you’re crossing multiple states, you’re going to have to pay this fee and fine at every border crossing. That all adds up. Not to mention the added hassle at every border crossing, which will take time to register and pay your fines and fees. Then you’ll have to do it all again on the return trip home. It’s better to pay it and get it out of the way.

How do I Register for the IRP?

Registration is fast and easy with IRP Registration Services. Just submit your company information on our HOME PAGE and information about your vehicle, and we’ll handle all of the legwork. To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number to apply. If you need these tax permits or any other permits give IRP Registration Services a call today at (888) 202-4927.