Welcome to Kansas IRP Registration Services!

The State of Kansas is smack right in the middle of the country. Trucking companies love central time zones, and organizing a fleet of trucks across the nation is best done in a place like Kansas. Coupled with some of the lowest costs of living in America, it’s no wonder there’s no place like home in Kansas for a trucking company. However, setting up a company in Kansas is not always easy. With the ease of travel to and from Kansas, most trucking companies don’t stay in Kansas for long. If your trucking company needs to cross state lines, you’re going to need to know about the IRP Kansas and how it affects your business.

What is the IRP?

The International Registration Plan, or IRP, helps promote interstate commerce and public safety. The IRP is an agreement between the lower 48 states and 10 Canadian provinces. This agreement allows the funds that come from the IRP to be equally distributed amongst the participating states and provinces. Before the IRP, truckers used to have to pay each state or province individually as they travelled through their jurisdiction. This took a lot of time and created a lot of confusion amongst the states. Now the process is streamlined and easy to take care of.

Who needs to Register for the IRP?

Not every commercial truck needs to register, so it’s a good idea to check to see if your vehicle is mandated to join the IRP. If your truck falls into one or more of the following categories, then you must submit it to the IRP.

  • Your truck has 3 or more axels
  • Your truck exceeds 26,000 pounds
  • Your truck’s combined weight of your rig, your trailer, and your loaded cargo exceeds 26,000 pounds

If you cross state lines and regulators find that your truck meets one or more of these requirements and you have not yet registered, you could be in for a rough drive.

What happens if I don’t Register for the IRP?

Failure to register could result in fines, fees, or worse. If you cross state lines and do not have a valid registration, you will have to pay for an emergency trip fuel permit. This permit also comes with a hefty fine. If you plan on passing through more than one state, you will likely be forced to buy an additional permit for every state you cross. This also includes the return trip, which means those fines and fees can really add up over time.

What does the IRP use for proof of registration?

When you cross state lines, regulators will check a few things to make sure you are properly registered with the IRP. The apportioned tags and decals are the most obvious things and, more often than not, the only things they will check. This license plate will be situated on your truck for quick and easy reference for regulators to see. The decals will also be present. If you recently registered and have not yet received your plates, your Cab Card is also used as proof of registration. This card includes information about you and your truck as well as all the stipulations of weight limits and jurisdictions applicable to your truck. You should always have this on you and preferably keep it in the cab of your truck. Hence the name, “Cab Card.” You will receive all of these items once you register.

Is that all I need to cross state lines?

The IRP is the most likely thing you will need to cross state lines, but depending on your truck, you may need more. The IFTA, or International Fuel Tax Agreement, is very similar to the IRP. The IFTA is another agreement that covers all 50 states as well as the 10 provinces of Canada. This is a separate agreement from the IRP. As the IRP deals with individual jurisdictions that you may need to use, the IFTA deals with every state and province. You will more than likely need both.

There’s also the HVUT or more commonly known as Form 2290. The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax is for trucks and trailers that exceed 55,000 pounds. If your truck falls into this category, you must also submit it to the HVUT in order to operate your vehicle in a commercial capacity.

How do I register with the IRP?

Registration is easy with IRP registration Services. All you have to do is fill in your vehicle and company information and we’ll take care of the rest. No more calculating costs or rifling through tax codes. We have everything you need with live agents to support you through every step of the process. They can easily get you registered and let you know what other permits your truck may need. Just submit your company information on our HOME PAGE and information about your vehicle, and we’ll handle all of the legwork. To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number to apply. Or you can call today at (888) 202-4927 and one of our tax permit experts can help you today.