Welcome to Florida
IRP Registration Services!

Florida License PlateOrlando and Lakeland are always at the top of the list for the best cities for truck drivers to live in. The location provides easy access to some of the most popular routes in America. With all of these amazing routes and opportunities for long haul truckers, it would be no surprise that most drivers need to cross state lines to take full advantage of the opportunities of being a Florida-based truck driver. If you do plan to cross state lines, it is important to understand the IRP Florida registration and what it means to you as a commercial truck driver who wants to cross state lines.

What is an IRP?

The IRP stands for International Registration Plan. It is an agreement amongst the 48 continental states (not including Alaska and Hawaii) and 10 provinces in Canada. This agreement equally supports all states and provinces who participate in the agreement to maintain public highways and support safety regulations. If your route takes you across state lines into any participating jurisdiction, it is imperative that you have the proper registration. Failure to conform to these laws could bring delays and fines your way.

If your vehicles meet one or more of the following requirements, you must apply for an IRP.

Drivers who either:

  • Have 3 or more axles on their truck
  • Their truck exceeds 26,000 pounds
  • Their truck’s combined weight of their rig, their trailer, and their load exceeds 26,000 pounds

What happens if you fail to submit to the IRP?Florida State Capitol

If you do not register and provide proper proof of registration, you could be in for a tough time crossing state lines. The first thing that may happen is that you are forced to purchase an emergency fuel permit. This permit comes with a penalty on top of the cost of the permit. This penalty and emergency permit may be charged every time you cross a state line and charged again on the return trip. Not only does this get expensive, it also takes a lot of time. Truckers are known for their tight deadlines, and spending extra time at each border crossing could delay your trip.

What proof of registration do I need for the IRP?

There are two things that you will need: a cab card and an appointed license plate. The license plate comes with a series of decals. These apportioned tags must be prominently displayed on your rig. This is so state regulators can easily see that you are properly registered with the IRP.

A Cab Card is the other form of proof that you will need. A Cab Card is essentially the master document. It contains information about you and your business, as well as information about your truck. You can also find the jurisdictions that you are allowed to travel through as well as the weight limits in each of these jurisdictions. It is important to keep this in your truck at all times. Most drivers keep it right there in their cab, hence the name, “Cab Card.”

I Registered with the IRP. Can I cross state lines now?

More than likely, you are going to need to apply for a few other permits before your business is ready to cross state lines. The two most common are the HVUT and the IFTA. The HVUT is the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax or more commonly known as Form 2290. If the reason you needed to apply for an IRP is because your vehicle exceeds 26,000 pounds, you’re probably going to need to pay an HVUT.

The IFTA is the International Fuel Tax Agreement. It is very similar to the IRP in many ways, with one key difference. Whereas the IRP allows travel between certain jurisdictions depending on your needs, the IFTA allows for travel across the United States and Canada. If you’re a long haul trucker who has to cross multiple state lines, you’re probably going to need to pay for an IFTA.

To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number to apply. If you need these tax permits or any other permits give IRP Registration Services a call today at (888) 202-4927.