Welcome to District of Columbia
IRP Registration Services!

Our nation’s capital is steeped in rich history, outstanding museums and beautiful architecture. And as a professional truck driver based in Washington, D.C., you’re no doubt well aware of the city’s legendary traffic woes, as well. Between parking downtown, jams on the Capital Beltway and the nearby Mixing Bowl interchange, you may be thinking of expanding your trucking business beyond the scope of the Capital.

Well, if you operate a commercial carrier and plan on hauling cargo outside the District, you’ve come to the right place to expedite obtaining your International Registration Plan (IRP). As a certified registration agent for the District of Columbia, we will handle all the details for you. Just call (888) 202-4927.

What is the International Registration Plan?

While much of the legislation that takes place in the Capital seems silly at times, the IRP is one of those rare pieces of government legislation that actually does what it promises. It allows you to travel freely throughout the United States and Canada without having to get permits in each jurisdiction you accrue mileage in. To be specific, Washington D.C., all states except Alaska and Hawaii, and 10 provinces of Canada are included in the International Registration Plan. The IRP collects and distributes registration fees between jurisdictions. The fees are calculated on the type of vehicle, the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) and the estimate mileage.

Does my vehicle qualify for the International Registration Plan?

You must register your vehicle if you’re based in DC and operate in any other IRP jurisdiction, and your truck:

  • Is a power unit having two axles and its gross vehicle weight is over 26,000 lbs.; or
  • Is a power unit having three or more axles, regardless of weight; or
  • When combined with trailer and load exceeds 26,000 lbs.

Once registered, you’ll receive your license plate, cab card and weight decal. The cab card is evidence of your registration and needs to be kept in the cab. It lists your gross vehicle weight (GVW) in all jurisdictions. The weight decal also shows the GVW and is applied to the outside of your truck. We will get all your paperwork filled out and submitted in a matter of hours, and then it takes 2 business days to be processed by the District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles.

Then there’s the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax to consider…

The Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) is a fee assessed yearly on vehicles operating on public highways at gross weights of 55,000 pounds or more. The gross taxable weight of a vehicle is determined by adding the unloaded weight of the truck and trailer together with the maximum load normally carried by the truck-trailer combination.

The penalties for non-compliance with the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax are severe. Suspended registrations, fines and even jail time could occur. We won’t let that happen to you, though. We’re experts in handling all aspects of paperwork for the trucking industry and our agents are ready to serve you. Call us today at (888) 202-4927 and we’ll have you hitting the highway faster than a politician can go back on his campaign promises!

We’re Here For The Whole Ride!