Welcome to Delaware
IRP Registration Services!

Delaware is a great place to be a trucker. The lack of a state tax and the number of quality truck driving companies means a driver can do pretty well for themselves in Delaware. The problem is that staying within state lines is not always easy. With the Port of Wilmington supporting multiple industries in different states and less than 2,000 square miles of land, Delaware truckers can’t stay in the state for long. Before you take your next cargo load across state lines, be sure your truck has the proper licenses and permits. The IRP Delaware registration is an important tax that lets you cross state lines.

What is the IRP?

The International Registration Plan is an agreement between various states in the US and Canadian provinces. This agreement helps collect taxes and uses those taxes to help support public highways. In 1996, the United States Congress required every one of the continental 48 states to join the IRP. Delaware joined in 1995. If a commercial truck travels across state lines into one of the jurisdictions that participate in the IRP, then they must have the proper registration credentials. These credentials help officials identify and track vehicle mileage in each jurisdiction. The official payment tax is calculated by the number of miles traveled through each jurisdiction.

Do all Commercial Trucks Need to Register for the IRP?Delaware State Capitol

Not every truck needs to register. Only qualifying commercial trucks must register and maintain the specific credentials. If your truck falls into one or more of the following categories, you must submit to the International Registration Plan.

  •  Your truck has 3 or more axels
  • Your truck exceeds 26,000 pounds
  • Your truck’s combined weight of your rig, your trailer, and your loaded cargo exceeds 26,000 pounds.

What are the IRP Registration Credentials?

The two credentials required for the IRP are a Cab Card and an apportioned license plate. The license plate comes with vehicle decals. These apportioned tags  need to be mounted on your vehicle. This helps officials track your vehicle and be able to instantly see your good standing with the IRP. Your cab card holds your official status with the IRP. This includes information about you, your business, and your vehicle. It also includes information about the jurisdictions that your IRP has access to as well as weight limits within that jurisdiction.

Is the IRP the only thing that I need to cross state lines?

Unfortunately, probably not. The IRP is one of a few things you will need to do business across state lines. If you needed to register for the IRP because your vehicle weight exceeds 26,000 pounds, you may need to submit an HVUT or, as it is more commonly known, the Form 2290. This is the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax. Every commercial vehicle that exceeds 55,000 pounds needs to pay a HVUT.

The other thing that most drivers need is an IFTA. This is the International Fuel Tax Agreement. The IFTA is a similar agreement to the IRP. Although the IRP allows drivers to cross state lines into certain jurisdictions, the IFTA allows drivers to cross state lines across the United States. Most cross country truckers will need to participate in the IFTA.

To apply to any of these tax permits you’ll need a valid DOT Number to apply. If you need these tax permits or any other permits give IRP Registration Services a call today at (888) 202-4927.