Welcome to Alabama
IRP Registration Services!

As a professional trucker based in Alabama, you appreciate the freedom of the open road, because waiting in long lines at the DMV is definitely not something you cherish. Let us take care of the details and get you on the highway quickly and efficiently by enrolling you in the International Registration Plan, or IRP, in Alabama. This gives you the flexibility to haul your cargo outside the Heart of Dixie to any of the other states in the lower 48, the District of Colombia or Canada.

But what exactly is the IRP?

The International Registration Plan, or IRP, is a reciprocity agreement among the contiguous states of the US, Washington DC, and the provinces of Canada. The IRP recognizes the registration of commercial motor vehicles issued by other jurisdictions. It allows truckers to operate across state lines without the necessity for obtaining permits in each state they travel. The purpose of the IRP Alabama is to simplify the process of collecting and distributing commercial motor carrier registration fees. Our purpose is to get you rolling faster by obtaining your legal documents for you.   

Does your vehicle qualify for the International Registration Plan?

Here are some basic guidelines to complete IRP in Alabama, according to the local DMV:

A qualified motor vehicle (also call apportionable vehicle) is a motor vehicle used, designed, or maintained for the transportation of persons or property having:

  • two axles and a gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms);
  • or three or more axles, regardless of weight;
  • or used in combination, when the gross vehicle weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms).

Qualified vehicles need a license plate, a decal for the side of the truck which shows the maximum gross vehicle weight, and an IRP cab card in Alabama. A cab card is an evidence of registration issued for an apportioned vehicle registered under the IRP. The base jurisdiction (in this case, Alabama) issues the licensing materials. Furthermore, law enforcement may ask to see your IRP Alabama cab card, so it should remain in the truck.

The Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (Form 2290)

There is also the Form 2290 to consider. The form 2290 is known as the Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (FHVUT), or just the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT). You should file the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax prior to IRP Registration. Any commercial vehicles with a loaded weight of 55,000 pounds or more must provide evidence of payment of the HVUT when they are on the scale at a weigh station. Truckers without proper evidence of compliance have had to stay at the weigh station until they handle it. Don’t let that happen to you! Since we’re experts in handling all the legal requirements needed for trucking, call us today at (888) 202-4927. We promise we’ll remove all the hassles from the compliance process.

We’re here to help!

We are a certified third-party registration agent for the state of Alabama, composed of a friendly and knowledgeable staff eager to burn rubber so you can hit the highway without delay with your Alabama IRP paperwork done. Call us at (888) 202-4927 and we will get your Form 2290 taken care of quickly. You’ll receive your license plate, Alabama IRP cab card and weight decal lickety-split! (Literally, a few hours for us to do the paperwork, and 2 business days for processing by the State of Alabama).

What are you waiting for? We’ll get you behind the wheel quickly – Call (888) 202-4927 today!